In October of 2021 we sold Nan's 1956 Corvette.
We purchased this 1956 Corvette in 1998 and owned it for more than 23 years.
The restoration project was a complete frame-off affair with the goals of creating a car that looked true to the most classic Corvette style (in our opinion, the 1956 and 1957 model years), while making the car safe, comfortable, and as updated as possible with modern technologies.
The result is a car with the following features:
- A beautiful, straight, body graced with 1965 Corvette Nassau Blue paint set off with White Pearlescent body coves and dash;
- The engine is a new GM Fastburn 385 crate engine, topped with the GM RamJet Electronic Fuel Injection;
- The transmission is the 700R4 (overdrive) unit re-manufactured by Bowtie Overdrives, including the classic look shifter;
- Power Disc brakes are found on all four wheels, actuated by a dual-chamber, power-assist booster on the master cylinder;
- Power steering is provided through a Chevy rack and pinon setup adapted to the original front suspension;
- Real wire wheels, with knockoffs, are on all four corners and even the spare -- Dayton Wire Wheels provided these wheels for the car;
- Cooling comes from an oversized aluminum radiator with an electric cooling fan thermostatically activated when needed;
- The removable hardtop, in matching Nassau Blue, was provided by GlassWorks, the premier hardtop shop for vintage Corvettes;
- All the chrome and stainless parts were purchased new, or re-chromed, or polished as appropriate;
- A modern serpentine belt system drives the aluminum water pump, power steering pump, alternator, and A/C compressor;
- A single white leather hide was used for the interior so that all the leather parts match -- seats, doors, dash rail, the 15" steering wheel, and even the trunk;
- All the instrument gauges are restored originals and they all work perfectly;
- 100% of the electrical wiring is new -- provided by Lectric Limited (arguably the best in the business).
This car won a “Peoples Choice” award in 2016 and won first place at the “Vettes for Veterans” car show in 2017 for first-generation Corvettes.
The body was removed from the frame and completely restored and painted 1965 Corvette Nassau Blue, with Pearl White coves and interior accents.
Eagle-eyed Corvette aficionados will notice the "Fuel Injection" emblems on the sides of the car and remark, "Fuel injection wasn't available until 1957." They, of course, are correct. But we love the look of the coves with the FI emblems (we think the coves look naked without the emblems), so we installed fuel injection to make everything compatible! See below for details.
Engine and Drive Train:
A panel to hold all the relays and electronics are housed in their own unit that is easily removed for maintenance.
The set of wheels includes the spare! In these pictures you can see that these are real knock-off wheels.
We even had custom Corvette Logos fashioned for the knock off caps!
Our 56 Corvette won a "People's Choice" award at one of the Corvette Racing corrals we attended (in Le Mans, France -- from photos of course -- the car did not go to France!) in 2016.
It also took 1st Place at the 2017 "Vettes for Veterans" Car Show in San Diego for 1st generation Corvettes.